Sunday, November 3, 2013

Marathon Media



So a few days ago I received an email from a Daily Herald reporter who wanted to interview me regarding winning the Haile Marathon. I never expected to win the marathon let alone be in an American newspaper and make the front page. I have seen the articles that were written online and the pictures that accompany it and all I can say is “wow.” To be all the way in Uganda, and hear from family and friends that I was on the front page of the paper and on the radio is pretty baffling to me. My former teachers are posting the paper in their schools and running groups have been talking about “this girl from Naperville.” To receive such love and support from so many people a world away… well, there are no words to express how I feel. I woke up to tons of emails the morning after the paper was posted, and I was shocked. Who would have thought a small marathon in Ethiopia could generate so much attention, but then I think about what Maggie Doyne once said. “Anything is possible. I’m telling you there’s a lot to do. I’m telling you the world needs you. Whatever your calling is. Whatever you dream of. The world needs all of us. I’m telling you. Everything you need, you’ve got right now. So go on. One step at a time. The world will cheer you on. Trust me.”
            Well the world certainly has been cheering me on, and it is just one more affirmation that I am right where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment